Lessons from the Lantern



Re-living childhood, the globe of a lantern was as precious as a golden ornament that is not to be toiled with. I was the careless one out of the three kids my parents had so the revered duty of washing the globe was assigned to my elder sister and she did it diligently. Every evening at exactly 4pm, she would assemble the two lanterns we had and carefully washed the glasses which availed us the luxury of enjoying an unsteady flickering brightness  when power went off.

She was not to be distracted as she carried out this duty so as not to break the glass. I was also smart enough to steer clear while she performed this ritual. Not even in my wildest dream did I imagine that this chore will ever pass by and not to be observed by kids now.  Lucky them some would say, but I say it’s a shame that they were not opportune to learn this lesson the lantern taught my sister and I. 

Unknowingly to us, we learnt so much from the lantern that as the flashes of nights spent around the flickering light shielded by a glass globe came to mind, 
it resonates with recent life activities that I would love to share. 


The most cared for part of the lantern is the globe and that’s obvious  because it’s made of a delicate glass which breaks easily if manhandled.  So is our life.

Just like the globe, we  embody so much light in us, which shines bright for others through our deeds. When our lives don’t reflect that light, it means we need to cleanse ourselves and get rid of the black sooth  which sometimes clouds the globe after it’s been used for a while. We appreciate the brightness of the light only when the globe is clean, so will your life shine brightly and be enjoyed by many when we take out time to get rid of the dirts in our lives. 

These dirts could vary for different individuals. It could be bitterness for some, self resentment, envy, procrastination,  living in the past, inability to forgive and so on. 

As the lantern taught me this lesson in life, I do hope it teaches you to look inwardly as well to get rid of the dirts that affects you from shinning bright as you ought to. Finally as precious as the globe is, even much more precious are you therefore never allow anyone to treat you less. 

Kender Talks

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways To Get Out Of A BAD Mood

The War Within

THE UNKNOWN CALL