INVESTMENTS AND LESSONS LEARNT.




My expressions most times don't match what's going on in my head. I really wanted to quit the pity face and give my dear new friend the advice she solicited for. 

Prior to now, I was sitting all alone patiently waiting for the closing hour. Hands on my system and going through posts on Instagram. My usual smile played on my face each time I saw a post that totally slayed. 

''A little digression''

Slaying in what sense?
Great inspirational quotes slay 
Great fashion sense slay
Finally the funny pages with funny videos slay. 
So basically these are the things that kept me entertained while waiting for time to tick faster.

Amidst my unconscious  smiles, a tap on the shoulder instantly turned my head. She sat helplessly looking like the world had come crashing on her. On asking what the matter was, she replied with another question.

''Have you ever invested an amount of money into a business you were so sure would make so much profit and ended up not getting any thing. Not even the capital. 

The look on her face was epic and I truly felt for her. My mind raced back and forth on which of my failed investments I should interest her with. At least to make her understand she was not all alone in the whole bad investment thing. 

Maybe I should talk about that one time in University. Exactly my second year in school.  I was given an amount for upkeep. For reasons best known to my parents, they decided to increase my allowance. 

As grateful as I was , I felt it best to invest the money in some business. I was really excited about the whole idea and within weeks of resumption, I started my first business.

Sales started and things seemed very promising. I sold most of my goods but on credit. Most of my customers who happened to be friends promised to pay up later. 

Finally most of them didn't pay up and the ones who did paid on installments that were horribly poor. 

I lost my money and suffered hunger for most of the semester.

I discarded the story on grounds of ''not been suitable'' for the matter at hand. 

I yet again remembered my second attempt. I got quite a large sum of money after service. I had so many options as to what business to invest the money into. 

After making inquiries and weighing my options, I decided to invest in my skill and boost it. I knew I was good with PR and all I needed to do was to source for clients and push publicity. 

As usual everything seemed good at first and I got a few clients. I invested more as my clientele base increased. The sad part of this business venture was location and my target population. I had targeted the wrong population and chose the wrong location for my business. 

Afterwards the clients I got were not willing to pay the standard amount for services rendered cause the location offered just a certain kind of service. I loved Makeup so it was my only consolation.

 I converted the products for personal use which to be was not entirely bad but it was a very bitter experience. 

I gave up yet again on this idea and decided to tell her everything I had experienced. 

Investments are great. We love to invest especially when we feel sure about the details of the business and the returns we expect. On this note I'll advice

Never be in a hurry to invest. Make all the necessary inquiries and get all the needed information. Leave no stone unturned while at this.

Weigh your options Make sure investing at that particular season, location or business is the best and would yield returns.

Ask questions. Find out all you need to know about that particular business from previous investors who has been in the game. Learn from their mistakes and their areas of strength.

Finally, be patient. When you have invested, patiently work hard and allow returns to come.

Bad investments can be a very bitter experience, but we all learn from it. Work hard, plan well and execute diligently. 

THANKS FOR READING AND PLEASE DROP YOUR COMMENTS ON POINTS YOU WOULD WANT TO RECOMMEND FOR OTHERS.

DO HAVE A PRODUCTIVE WEEK.


Comments

Olabisi said…
no one bae. you write well. My advise for investors is to take time and study the target the population. that is so necessary.
Ken said…
I too lost quite a sum some years ago when i wrongly invested in a business i tot was so lucrative. I learnt from it though. And now I know better how to invest and when to invest and even what to invest in depending on location. To me......these are the factors to always consider.
spower said…
Hehehehe... Sometimes being too.careful is still not the solution. During the press conference to announce Nokia being acquired by Microsoft, Nokia CEO ended his speech saying this “we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”. Upon saying that, all his management team, himself included, teared sadly.
I came up with the latest variable for business success tagged "the unknown " nevertheless plan well. Thanks kinder for sharing
Anonymous said…
investment to me is either a win or you learn from loosing. I have enjoyed both sides and i did learn.
JIDE said…
well investment is a business risk we all will have to take. so if it turns out fine........good, if it doesn't......still fine. we all have to take that risk to move higher in business.

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways To Get Out Of A BAD Mood

The War Within

THE UNKNOWN CALL