WHO DEFINES YOU !




WHO DEFINES YOU?

Very easy to answer and yet so difficult to prove. Often times our words mock our belief system or our way of living. Let me tell a little story to buttress my not yet established point. 

When I was a teenager, I had little or no knowledge about who I was. I was bullied by my seniors in school and most times the fear to get out of trouble took a toll on me. I became more conscious of pleasing ''them'' instead of becoming my own person. 

Worse still, due to puberty and feminine growth I had acne which were not seasonal at all but rather constantly popping out in large numbers. 

I was always questioned about the appearance of acne on my face which I had no control over. I was pitied instead of being related with like every other young girl growing up. 

Over time, I became so uncomfortable with the never ending questions and pity faces that greeted me all the time. Unknown to me my self worth was fast depleting. 

I became nervous about being seen in public and hanging out with friends. I became my best companion, not because I loved it that way, but because  I had constantly told myself that I had no choice. 

I considered myself not pretty and before I knew it, I was swallowed in inferiority complex. 

At that point, I had allowed people's opinion about my face define me. I had equally given in to fear of expressing myself so as not to be punished by the  seniors students. My confidence as a young girl was gone.

I feared to speak up and honestly hoped my voice would never be heard (basically for fear of being seen).

Few years later, I got into the University and I saw a different world. I made new friends who had so much confidence in themselves and believed themselves for who they are. 

At that point I saw a need to re-address my complex issues and self definition. I spoke most times to myself (usually standing in front of a mirror), reorienting my already formed perception about myself.

After what seemed like a rebirth, I finally defined who I was irrespective of friends, society or environment.


I can't over emphasize on the dangers of allowing the society or others to define you. We become defaced and unable to reach our full potential when we allow that to happen.

Life has in one way or the other thrown different shades at us, but allowing our self to drown in such falsehood is dangerous. 

Now my word is, define yourself based on what God says about you. He created you a King and nothing less. Despite how things turn or what life throws at you, NEVER let down your standard. Keep striving and never loose sight sight of that self definition. You are the best there is.

Always ask yourself in every situation:
Who defines me? 
The society or MYSELF.

 Thanks for reading. You can now follow Kender talks on her instagram and twitter handle for lovely inspirational quotes. Kender would equally want to know those topics you would like her to write on.

Instagram: @kendertalks
Twitter: kender_talks 

 Enjoy your day. Kender loves You!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I waited for your publish yesterday. I love this.
Mena said…
I just love your tone when u write. Its inspiring
Anonymous said…
Interesting. Thumbs up

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways To Get Out Of A BAD Mood

The War Within

THE UNKNOWN CALL